The Silver Paths
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Silver Paths

Carpe Noctem

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Up the Down Staircase

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Storyteller
High Monarch
High Monarch

Up the Down Staircase Empty
PostSubject: Up the Down Staircase   Up the Down Staircase EmptySun Apr 01, 2012 2:27 am

Sevik stared down at the two pieces of broken pencil and saw it for what it was. To a changeling, any object infused with the power of creativity, inspired by ones own need and imagination, always appeared to be more. Far more then mortals could ever see on their own, or more then adults could see. Children always looked at the world differently, so much more willing to believe. While he knew it was also a pencil, to his eyes what lay in her palm was not a construction of a narrow, solid pigment core inside a protective casing. It was a slightly ruffled, but no less broken quill. The deep blue feather broken about halfway down, the primary feather looked like it had once belong to a scarlet macaw.

Seeming a little saddened by it's appearance he plucked the two pieces from her palm, and encased them behind closed fingers. His gaze lifted for just a moment to make sure they didn't have any unwanted observers, before his full attention returned to his hand. He didn't murmur, or whisper, nothing noticeable crossed his features, but there was a faint arctic green illumination from between his fingers. When his hand opened a moment later the pencil was whole once again, seamlessly so.

"Keep this, I think maybe it will be important some day soon."
Back to top Go down
https://silverpaths.rpg-board.net

PostSubject: Re: Up the Down Staircase   Up the Down Staircase EmptySun Apr 01, 2012 9:42 pm

Surprise was the first reaction. Both at his quickness to take it but also at his seeming sadness over something that I was obviously missing. He hadn't explained what he was going to do with the half's, then again when I'd offered them there had been no price tag of an explanation for what his intent with them was. He was getting all serious again then, that gaze so swift making sure that there wasn't someone watching who shouldn't be. There wasn't, though even if there had been after that moment I would have missed it for my eyes were glued, riveted really to his hands. Magic. He was going to make it happen some inner sense told me. Then sure enough there was that low flare of unique green that was muffled by the clasp of his hands as well as the closeness of our bodies, for low and behold I had moved closer. Subconscious the steps may have been, but when he finally opened his hand again, my eyes had to blink a time or two before they seemed to admit to what they were seeing. Perfection. As if it were a wound in flesh that had been healed without leaving even the slightest sign of a scar behind. In fact it looked in some ways better than it had when the woman had first brought it to me. His words came to my ears, sorted themselves out and then settled away in a mental bin amid-st a thousand and one others like them.

Then before I knew it, I was acting. Impulse. Instinct. Maybe it was just sheer, morbid curiosity to see if his lips tasted as good as they looked. That excuse deserved something far different than what it ended as though. Up on toes, though not quite their tips were required. Fingers had already settled atop the utensil still nestled in his palm, taking it between my own even as our lips brushed. The barest of meetings, that sweep was. Barely enough to even be called a kiss, but it was long enough that he would catch the nervous hitch of my breath when they did join. Then away again, though strangely enough my fingers had itched as they pulled away, pencil in grasp. Grinning like a mischievous little imp who had been caught with it's fiery hand in the cookie jar, I nodded my head back towards his car. Shifting from one foot to another, I used my hair again as my shield. Gave him partial hints of my gaze from behind the silken wall as I back-stepped towards his vehicle. Hand still holding the pencil made a quick, welcoming, yet beckoning as well motion.

"Thank ye M'Lord but it seems that it be far past tea time and if we do not be swift upon our feet, our little time of adventure will be over before it's done. Join me please in this delightful carriage and may you further open my eyes to the world of such visions."
Back to top Go down
Storyteller
High Monarch
High Monarch

PostSubject: Re: Up the Down Staircase   Up the Down Staircase EmptyMon Apr 02, 2012 2:34 am

The kiss caught him so by surprise that he didn't move, not forward, not backward. He didn't even move a hand to touch her. A long blink was given as she spoke. Breaking him out of his statuesque position. His brows furrowed together into an expression of stern sincerity. Not angry, but there was something more present then there had been previously. Calling on his glamor, he moved faster then her gaze could follow. One moment she was backing away from him, gazing past those dark strands with Sevik in her sights. The next he was gone and she stepped back into what briefly felt like an unyielding stone wall where there had been none.

If she started, or attempted to come around swinging due to shock or surprise, his hands stopped her. Not with force, not violently. Unlike most supernaturals, it was not difficult for him to hold onto his inhuman speed. Thus, he could preempt her initial response with ease. Fingers slid down her arms, wrapping around her and pulling her closer to him. Her back pressed firmly to his chest. Close enough that when he dropped his head his voice was a murmur against her ear. "Hope your ready for this." His gaze shifted to look sidelong at the silhouette of her features.

"I enchant thee, mortal."

With the words came a rush, like a wind though in that moment none stirred the campus. Her hair, along with his own shifted, moving in the wake of whatever power he was using. Then everything changed, without changing at all.

He unveiled her eyes, opening them to the truth of the world. The magic of it. Even the unseelie saw the glamor the world held. They did not see the tattered old book of fairy tales with the torn cover, but the warmth and pleasure countless children have derived from reading it. Each child leaving some imprint on the book, some tiny spark of imagination or inspiration that the book had evoked for them. Likewise, they may smell luscious strawberries on and "empty" plate, and dance to a symphony played on a crickets' legs. Adults lost the vison of the world that he reopened for his ward with only a few words. Shattering the mundane reality of the unenchanted and filled her eyes with all the things they had forgotten how to see.

The trees were taller, their branches full of wide leaves, though green was no longer a primary presence. Now shades of indigo, blue, red, teal, and all the impossible shades in between. Some seemed older, their boughs curling impossibly as they drifted downward like those of a weeping willow. Small creatures, darting back and forth across the huge expanse of lawn. Above a flock of crows, startled by a passing car sang out like nightingales as they scattered. All the while he held onto her, a silent shield at her back as her attention scattered to the dreaming as it blossomed around them.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Up the Down Staircase   Up the Down Staircase EmptyMon Apr 02, 2012 4:36 pm

I didn't exactly think he would hit me, nor harm me in any way, but then I didn't exactly know what to expect. In truth I wasn't sure why I had even kissed him. All of the logic that had filtered through my brain seemed insignificant now. Awaiting his reaction with trepidation that was hidden beneath the merriment, the almost teasing tone of my words, my spirit sank ever so slightly when the stern look crossed his face. I had surely crossed some line that I had no right to, made some giant faux pas that would come back to bite me in the ass with great amounts of glee. Such was just my luck. He moved so quick then that there was no way to trace his actions nor where they would land him. Just enough time to close my eyes. Freeze and move to curl in on myself to try to protect...Try to stop Gods only knew what was coming next. Whatever it was that I could have thought to expect, it was not this. Most assuredly anything else.

Strength. The solid, all too masculine line of his body behind mine. The touch of his hands sliding over the cloth that covered my arms, was potent enough to make it feel as if there were nothing separating our flesh to begin with. Yet there was no malice to it. No anger nor force. merely superior strength, controlled skill that had the smallest of shudders traipsing free along my body. Back against his I was drawn then, once closed eyes opening. Widening in slight surprise, there was a tremulous sigh. A sound of both confusion and pleasure intermingled when his whisper fell upon my ear. Trying to piece together what his cryptic words could possibly mean , I felt his gaze studying me, almost as if waiting for something before that second batch of words came. Somehow both more and less cryptic than the first, it was almost as if they were what I had awaited the entirety of my life.

There was no way that I could ever put to words the way it felt when that magic rolled over me. The odd, yet pleasant sensations caused by his nearness rose and danced with whatever it was he had cast. Whatever glamour he had laid upon me was merely multipli... When my brain stopped trying to think and let my eyes merely see, my breath was stolen. Grasped by a giant's fist and held in a crushing grasp. This though was a world where Giant's could exist. Surely did in some forlorn ice encrusted cavern. Dragons. Wings of leather and shimmering scale, their colors that of the rainbow and beyond flying overhead or nestled away in caves that man's eyes would never see as they perched atop their mounds of glistening and shadowed treasure. yet even this place was spectacular. Colors in hues and shades that my mind had only dreamed of. Even the scent of the grass being crushed beneath our feet was somehow sweeter, more intoxicating as it carried to my nostrils. The riotous, delightful sound of the creatures overhead that scattered to the breeze had my gaze tilting upwards. The sheen of their feathers so dark that it made a mockery of the twilight hour itself, I could not help but be drawn back to the man who had given me this gift. Curious to see if he looked any different , I froze in his embrace.

Even if I had been breathing normally at the moment, it would have ceased. Lips parted on a soft sound that was part gasp, part sigh, part simple exhalation. If his presence had held appeal for me before, now it was overwhelming in a fashion. Part of me felt the need to blink a time or two to make sure that this was all real. That he was real. The other part refused, suddenly terrified that if for even a heartbeat of time I looked away that all of it would be gone. Then there was a part of me that was glad I did not paint for in this moment I wanted nothing more than to create an image that would make this immortal. Capture it so that even if it was only a figment of my imagination, it would be one that I could look upon time immemorial. Yet there was no mortal brush, no mortal pigment, nor parchment that could ever hope to replicate it. So there I was simply able to stand, eyes wide with a joy that I hadn't known since a child. If ever truly even then. For there were no words appropriate at this moment. No way to thank, or even simply reply to what it was that lay there surrounding us.
Back to top Go down
Storyteller
High Monarch
High Monarch

PostSubject: Re: Up the Down Staircase   Up the Down Staircase EmptyMon Apr 02, 2012 6:33 pm

"I am the Son of Draven Silver , King of the Unseelie court and Kasandra Silver Queen of the Unseelie court. Heir apparent, high ranking member of House Eiluned." His voice did not rise in volume, each word a gentle caress of breath against her ear. He felt the multitude of changes that swept through her. From the initial preparation to be struck, the realization had made his arctic eyes grow even colder. The man responsible for that was being taken care of however, and he decided to waste no more time in thinking on him. The flood of glamor washed through him, forged to life by the woman in his arms. SHe was marveling,and he was only getting started.

Only when she finally turned from the glory of the Dreaming, did he continue. "This I Swear: That I shall see you and your siblings to a place that you can grow unhindered by shadows or lose my honor, that I shall keep from you and your siblings those that would do you harm or lay down my sword, that I shall stand at your back, until you no longer need my support or Dream no more. You and the sky are my witnesses, so may it be." She could almost feel the stirring of the Dreaming as he began to speak. When he finished, something solidified as if it could hear him and would hold him to his oath as no other thing could.

Sevik wouldn't move until she was ready to, but once she did he would step back and away from her. Not far though, no his own promise ensured that he would never be far from her. "I believe you mentioned something about tea."
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Up the Down Staircase   Up the Down Staircase EmptyTue Apr 03, 2012 12:56 am

Oh Gods...He was indeed a Prince and I was staring at him like the awestruck Mortal girl that I was. How very embarrassing. I waited for the scarlet kiss to paint my cheeks, but it never came. Somehow I was becoming more comfortable around this devastatingly distracting Male. Each word he spoke brushed across my ear like heated silk. The press of velvet flickering, there one moment and gone the next. I could stay here like this for an eternity, listening to him speak as my eyes drew it all in. Strangely enough I knew I was safe here in his embrace. It couldn't last though. Nothing ever did, and were I to stay here, myself secure from any threat, what would happen to the younglings ? I had sacrificed too much to become selfish now, no matter how tantalizing the potential for it was. Still it was nigh on impossible to draw away from him in the slightest, much less enough to actually extract myself enough from him to be able to think clearly. That was before, especially before he began to speak again.

My eyes widened as each word, each aspect of the oath, the vow spilled from his lips. A quiet sound of pain, of denial as well tumbled free of my lips, unbidden. My eyes clenched so tight as to be almost uncomfortable. I couldn't let him do this to himself but even now he was taking the choice upon himself. What could I do to stop him ? There was nothing. When he had finished, I could not explain it but I felt as well as he that something had solidified his speaking into more than mere words. Even if he wished me to move away from him, for the moment I seemed unable to. My hand rose to touch his cheek, only to fall away before it ever made contact. Struggling for the proper words, his mention of the tea fell upon numb ears. I took the moment. The mention of mundane things to try to collect myself, at least somewhat.

"Tea. Yes. It would be a crying shame if I were here in London and we did not share at least a spot or two. Maybe even have some crumpets to go with it. By your leave, we should go, your Highness. If you know of a good place, the least I can do is buy some for us."

Back to top Go down
Storyteller
High Monarch
High Monarch

PostSubject: Re: Up the Down Staircase   Up the Down Staircase EmptySat Apr 07, 2012 5:36 pm

"Did you forget my name already?" He teased, breath warm against her ear in that moment before stepping back and heading toward the car. He stopped long enough to open her door, before walking around to his own and getting in. The car started up with a purr, the slight vibration from the speakers felt, despite the low volume the radio was set to. Once she was in, he pulled away from the curb and steered them back onto the city streets of London. The ancient city was far grander through the eyes of the enchanted. The colors were brighter, sections that to mortals seemed run down and empty housed everything from shops to gardens. The trees and flowers that lined the streets appeared to be colored more on a whim then by any natural law of nature.

Heading toward Knightsbridge, one of the most upscale districts in London, he directed his attention toward his stereo long enough to direct it to start London playlist one. As ___ started, he began to explain a little more of the area to her. "Knightsbridge was originally a small hamlet outside of London, between the villages of Chelsey, Kensing town, and Charing. In the time of Edward I, the manor of Knightsbridge appertained to the abbey of Westminster. It was named after a crossing of the River Westbourne, which is now an underground river. Interesting side note its recorded that the citizens of London met Matilda of England at the Knight's Bridge in 1141"

He pulled up in front of a huge dark brick building, and getting out tossed his keys to the valet. Strolling around he pulled open Xerephim's door, an arm offered upon her exiting. "Allow me to give you the grand tour of the building, and the new home you will be sharing with your siblings." Leading her inside, he began a rather playful grin forming on his lips. "Welcome to the Grosvenor House Apartments by Jumeira." He gestured to the grand hall. "The Grosvenor House Apartments by Jumeirah Living combine the services of a five-star Jumeirah hotel with the discretion and privacy of an exclusive Mayfair residence, appealing to individuals looking for a more private form of luxury and an immediate sense of home." The wording, and his rather wry grin would indicate that he was probably quoting directly from the brochure. Not that he appeared especially sheepish about it.

He continued as he lead her toward the elevator. "Services include twenty-four hour Concierge, daily maid service, At Home Business Solutions with an executive boardroom, gym, and Spa Illuminata At Home treatments. The Grosvenor House has four spacious and luxurious single strata penthouses on the top floor, a unique offering in London. They have private lift access and their own separate state-of-the-art Poggenpohl kitchens, glamorous dining and sitting rooms, ideally sized for entertaining, "This was said with a grand sweeping gesture, that ended in him pressing the button for the lift. "As well as a study area, media room and stylish bedrooms. The penthouses feature private balconies, which enable residents to make the most of the impressive views over Park Lane and the rooftops of Mayfair, as well as the use of a self-drive Aston Martin Rapide house car." Wiggling his eyebrows at mention of the town car, he continued without giving her the chance to interrupt.

"Additional features at Grosvenor House Apartments include a spectacular first-floor atrium with a seven-story vaulted ceiling and a grand over-sized fireplace, hosting all day dining for residents. twenty-four hour room service is also available, along with a dedicated 24 hour concierge service, valet parking and a host of additional services." He used a key-card to activate the button for the previously mentioned top floor. "Grosvenor House Apartments are situated in Mayfair on the world-renowned Park Lane, with views across Hyde Park, one of the central London's largest open spaces. This is a location synonymous the world over with luxury, prestige and quality. It affords some of the world's greatest retail facilities, enjoys some of the finest restaurants in London and is in close proximity to a host of Royal Parks and Gardens. It is, quite simply, an aspirational location offering the ultimate in status." When he finished, the doors were once again gliding open, revealing a short hallway that lead to a pair of large double doors. He handed the key card to her and gestured for her to go ahead of him. If she hesitated, he would only offer a Gaelic shrug that meant everything and nothing. "I"m right behind you."
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Up the Down Staircase   Up the Down Staircase EmptySat Apr 07, 2012 7:18 pm

"Forget your name ? As if I could forget anything about you."

The words were the barest of a whisper. More an exhaled mutter that may or may not end up carrying all the way to your ears. It was not difficult to make my way back to the car, feet thankfully making quick work of the few needed steps without causing me to make any unwanted trips or excursions into a nearby fountain. Don't ask, it was a long story that was less embarrassing when it remained in the closet buried behind a thousand and one other skeletons. I also managed to duck in time to avoid the football that came spiraling just overhead. Why in the world would anyone be playing sports this close to the par... No I was better off not asking. Answers tended to be things I just did NOT want to hear these days. So there I was, finally in the vehicle and we were moving again. There were reasons I avoided driving when possible. I doubted that there was an insurance company that would take me on after the string of fiascoes that showed on my record. Considering my obvious youth, you would think that I wouldn't have had the time to do too much...Appearances were far more deceiving than one would be lead to believe.

It wasn't too difficult once ensconced within the safety of the car, seat-belt in place and all to let his voice flow over me. Normally, my eyes would have closed, giving my brain ample opportunity to decipher everything that it had been fed thus far today, but ever since my eyes had been opened...His voice was actually a fringe benefit to the wonders my eyes were beholding. Some part of me still mused over if I was dreaming or not. Catching a bit of flesh along my arm between thumb and forefinger, I gave it a good, solid pinch. Okay. That definitely tickled a bit. Tuning back into that he was saying a bit more attentively, he was far better than any tourist guide could dare dream of being. It didn't hurt that there was a part of me that was sucking up this opportunity and everything it offered like a bee at a pollen heavy blossom. Most of it I knew but there were a few prize tidbits that I closeted away into the internal files to later be reviewed and made into blocks that would remain for quite sometime. Who knew when such knowledge would actually come in handy. While I doubted that I'd end up on some trivia show within the next week, much less have any of this prove pertinent, I couldn't put it passed fate at the very moment.

When we stopped, eyes did an actual double take. This was a place that I'd only seen in high gloss pictures. Yet somehow the pamphlets didn't even begin to do it justice. Then again it was doubtful that any of those photographers had been....Enchanted. That's what he called it. Figuring we had stopped by his own personal estate for tea or Gods knew what else, my jaw couldn't help but drop when he made mention of the fact that this was now where the younglings and I would be staying. Taking the offered arm, thankful that I had something to have a secure grasp upon as the world around me continued to spin, the grin that painted itself across his features wasn't exactly missed, but if I studied it for too long I was going to be completely and utterly won over by him. His words, grin and all were quite astute a description, and quite positively taken iota after iota from a travel dialogue. If he wasn't going to be bothered by it, it would be just bad form for me to be, wouldn't it ?

My grip tightened on his arm, my breath resisting the urge to come in faster, needier gasps. Was now about the time when I was allowed to start hyperventilating ? No. Nope. That would be rather rude, and likely detract from the in depth nature of the tour he was giving. Self-Drive Aston Marti...Biting back a couch of shock and disbelieve, I couldn't help but grin, even if it was just a bit at the rather roguish waggle of his brows. All of this though was marvelous. A veritable dream come true that was just getting better by the moment. Making my way with him down that short hallway, there was some foreign part of me that was saddened when he released us and motioned us to step ahead. Yet I kept my features blank of that little traitorous feeling. Taking the key with a rather impish grin that was far more confidant than I felt, I nodded at his words and took those few steps it required before I was left standing at the doors. Taking a deep, self steadying breath, I lifted my hand. Strange, but the slide of the card came rather second nature. Almost as if it were what I'd been meant to be doing all along. Why they closed all of a sudden, I didn't know, but I only knew when to push the doors open because the series of clicks from the tumblers shifting had finished and the door had already started to glide open itself.

The smell of clean. Of wealth and spacious luxury. Wood and metal. Glass and plush thick cushions that just begged to be sunk down into. Leather recliners that faced a fireplace...Surely it wasn't a real one. That would be too much to ask for. Moving further in, my fingers trailed along article after article of furniture. Brushing softly over the wall, than a hanging lamp fixture, I let my feet carry my into the next room. Black and chrome. So open and airy. Delightfully modern with all the accouterments that I could ever need. It looked like I was going to have to take up cooking and actually learn to be as good at it as I was other things so that this glorious room didn't go to waste. The next room had a quiet whimper escaping my lips. It was as gorgeous as the rest but there were enough settings at the table for...For well far more than the younglings and I would ever have need of. Each place setting perfectly aligned even now, I was almost terrified to breathe, as if an exhalation could somehow tarnish the rightness of it. Not daring to go any further, at least not just yet, I turned slowly. Just enough really to be able to glance over my shoulder at him.

"Thank you , Your Hig...Thank you Sevik."
Back to top Go down
Storyteller
High Monarch
High Monarch

PostSubject: Re: Up the Down Staircase   Up the Down Staircase EmptySun Apr 08, 2012 4:40 pm

He stepped inside after her, arctic eyes sweeping the front room before moving toward the rest of the apartment and the sweeping view of London that it offered. Reaching into his jacket he pulled out a set of keys and jingled them at her. "Did I mention that there are two parking spaces in the underground lot?" He tossed them to her. He flashed her a disarming smile. "Look around, I'll order us something to eat."

Pulling out his cellphone, he dialed and placed a quick order for the both of them. Keeping her in his peripheral as he spoke. Such a strange creature, he hadn't missed her expression when she had seen the table set for not just the two of them, but for all of her siblings plus a few. Hanging the phone up, he leaned his lanky frame against the wall and waited until she wandered back out to him.

"By the way, they will all be receiving letters of acceptance to the appropriate schools around the city. All private of course. The best education possible, all expenses paid, including the airfare. If all goes well you and yours should be here permanently by Friday."
It was currently Monday, so the appointed date was only a few days away.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Up the Down Staircase   Up the Down Staircase EmptySun Apr 08, 2012 5:21 pm

The words were spoken quickly, that glimpse of my eyes without the fall of hair shadowing them one of the few that he would ever, at least for now be given willingly and of my own accord. Shifting back around, I let my feet guide me out of the exquisite dining room to be able to tour the rest of the apartment. As if it could just be called a mere apartment. It was far too grandiose for that title alone. It was a veritable treasure trove, a palace to a mere humble servant such as myself. Yet, it was what they deserved. Even now I could picture them each in their own room, marveling over every unique little gadget. Then there was the view. For that alone I would have perhaps given my soul. Then there was the bedroom. Breath caught in throat yet again, I stepped hesitantly into it, eyes peeking to and fro. A bed that massive...What in the world was I supposed to do with all of that space ? For a moment, I found my traitorous thoughts slipping back to the few brief hours I had slept beside the Male who stood in the other room. Scarlet flush painting my features a vibrant, fire engine red, I exhaled a quick breath before slipping back out and into the hall-way. Shutting the door quietly behind me, I caught the words he mentioned of the schools for each of them, the airfare...I was greedy though in my demands for them, regardless of how thankless it made me look. Parking my hip against the still of the window, I cleared my throat slightly before hedging a glance up in his direction.

"I know that there are no words to display the level of gratitude, nor the debt that I owe you for all of this, but there is yet more that I would require. I know what is like to find mockery over not being able to afford the most fashionable attire, or the coolest gadgets for school. I will not give them this taste of Heaven only to be thrown into the torment that school days would be if they lacked the finishing touches."

Each words was spoken in a slightly measured clip. Not hesitant whatsoever as the issue was of that much importance to me, but still I didn't know what his reaction would be to my audacity. When the last word of my inquiry had passed my lips, my arms were wrapped comfortably around myself, but still loose enough that if I needed to...I don't know what I expected, but if it required quick movement, I at least hoped I wouldn't end up going through the window. That was far longer of a drop than I had any desire to contemplate much less actually experience.
Back to top Go down
Storyteller
High Monarch
High Monarch

PostSubject: Re: Up the Down Staircase   Up the Down Staircase EmptySun Apr 08, 2012 5:51 pm

Staring at her for a moment, listening attentively to her concern. He blinked once, then threw his head back and laughed. It was a good laugh, rolling and almost tangible, but still very human. It lit up his whole expression, making the keen lines of his handsome features soften at the edges. This went on for several seconds, and it was difficult to discern if he was laughing with or at her. It might have been at, but it was too friendly to really cause insult.

Clearing his throat, a hand lifted to sweep his eyes. "That was good." Chuckling softly he shook his head. "I don't plan on having them live in poverty. Their tuition is paid for, the loft is paid for for. Money is never going to be an issue for you or your brothers and sisters ever again."
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Up the Down Staircase   Up the Down Staircase EmptySun Apr 08, 2012 7:05 pm

I felt anger then. The quick and powerful bite of it, laced with mortification which only made things worse. He was laughing. And damn him if he wasn't beautiful while doing it. Just like with everything else. My hand itched to swing up and slap him for finding something so important, so very serious to me to be a joke. Something to be made a comedy of. So what if he had never known a second of actual need in his life. Eyes were a swirl of deep dusky grays and liquid violets that mixed and melded together, a storm-front brewing as I turned around to look back out over the view of the city that was offered. Don't yell at him. When it comes to him, words are powerful. Too powerful. Angry as I may be, I refused to cause another pain, however slight it may be with my words and at the moment I couldn't promise... Fingers shook upon the frame of the window, knuckles so tight and tense as I counted through each breath. Simmered myself down before finally speaking again. Proud of myself for the calm, decisive tone that I offered him, I knew it was not the same jovial, breathlessly giddy tone that had been here only so shortly before.

"My apologies that you took my sincerity to be in jest, M'Lord Sevik. Once again my thanks as well as those of my siblings when they arrive and see what you have graced us with, I'm sure. Some of them will be more effusive than others. Knowing my siblings, you will likely be met with the same wariness from some of them that I have shown you thus far."

Suddenly far more weary than I had any right to be, my shoulders slumped, ever so slightly. Forehead resting against the cool glass, I let the tension roll out of me on a shudder. I wasn't mad at him. Not truly. I was mad at the situation. Angered that he could give them everything I never could with a mere snap of his elegant fingers. Or a string of words uttered from those dangerous lips of his. And oh did I remember just how dangerous those lips could be. Now was so not the time to think of them though. Yet they did bring the slightest of smiles to my own. Hoping to alleviate any unwarranted tension that I might have just brought about, my next words were tossed about as merrily as I could manage.

"I don't suppose that the mighty and powerful Sevik would know of any worthwhile Tailors on whom he might wish his patronage to fall, does he ? If they are to know wealth and privilege, I would have it be only the best which your fashion sense says you understand quite well. If not, go shopping with me for them ? Please...Your company somehow makes me less...Less something."
Back to top Go down
Storyteller
High Monarch
High Monarch

PostSubject: Re: Up the Down Staircase   Up the Down Staircase EmptyWed Apr 11, 2012 4:04 am

The laughter faded from his eyes as he watched her, gaze intent and was followed by several moments of silence. "Forgive me, I wasn't mocking your concern. Simply amused that you would think that I would arrange everything else, then leave you high and dry with the bill." The corner of his mouth twitched, but never fully grew into his wry smile. "I'm a little more familiar with how to do business then that."

Uncrossing his arms he pushed off the wall and started toward the door. "Shopping it is, we will grab the food on our way out the door." He offered as he headed for the exit. After making sure the door was locked properly, they took stepped into the Elevator. Stepping over he wrapped his arm around her waist, and called on his glamor to Flicker Flash them, and their lunch, to a park that boasted a magnificent view of London Bridge. The bag of food he set on the picnic table, and mimed pulled out a chair for her.

Taking his own seat across from her, he began to lay out their food. All the way to London, and he had ordered Chinese. A multitude of egg-rolls, crab rangoon, fried doughnuts, beef lo-main, and General Tso's chicken. There were even a pair of fortune cookies, and chopsticks. "Dig in." He did just that, not speaking again for several companionable minutes while he busied himself with eating. It surprised him how hungry he was, and chuckled at the memory that he hadn't for nearly two days. Figured. Always too much to do in his line of work.

"What sort of clothing are you thinking? We're in London, only one place to go but it definitely has its options."
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Up the Down Staircase   Up the Down Staircase EmptyWed Apr 11, 2012 8:22 pm

He hadn't yelled. Or screamed, or lashed out in any fashion. This was Sevik, not my Fa...I needed to stop expecting the worst from him. Needed to stop expecting anything really. For every time I did, he had shown me the complete opposite. While I did not doubt that violence could come from him...I doubted that I would ever truly understand why he was doing all of this for me, or why the oath he had made to me back in the Parking Lot had seemed to matter so much to him, but maybe that was just it. I needed to stop wondering why, and simply accept. Never forget to be grateful, but rather stop expecting the worst. It would make things easier in the long run, some nagging little voice in the back of my head whispered. It was also telling me, more like reminding me that maybe for once in my life I should simply kick back. Relax and enjoy the company of the glorious bastard who was my escort. That thought alone brought the slightest of giggles to escape my lips. He was no Bastard in the truest sense, oh no indeed. Though when it came to all the other fashions that the word could be intoned...Hearing his words and not wanting him to think I was ignoring them, I merely nodded.

Following him into the elevator, I didn't jump, nor even tense up this time when he wrapped an arm around my waist. I was thankful for that because neither would have been conducive to the Topsy-turvy feeling that suddenly was making happy with my stomach. One minute we were there in the elevator and the next we were standing somewhere else entirely. Chinese. The mingled scents of the assorted dishes did wonders for the feeling, chasing it away on a rather loud, almost obnoxious growl from my stomach. A wry, almost bemused grin was given at the chair being pulled out, and after a quick brush of my cheek to his, it was taken. Eyes studied the park he had chosen, almost more than we studied the food, and as it was with everything else, it had us enamored. And upon realization...Of course there would only be chopsticks. Planting a courageous smile across my features, I began stabbing at chunks of Chicken with as much grace as was possible. Piece after piece was popped into my mouth, then chewed with great enjoyment even as a scrap of paper was pulled from my pocket. Taking a writing utensil from behind out ear, we began scribbling things on the paper, bites taken in between.

What seemed an eternity of scritching and quite a few bites later, a last lick was given to a bit of the sauce that remained on our lower lip before we looked up at him. Slipping the piece across to him as we swallowed our most recent bite of one of the scrumptious egg rolls, our free hand made no hesitancy in snatching up one of the Rangoon. Nodding again at his question then motioning to what we had passed to him

"Those are ages and sizes. As to sorts...I'll know it when I see it. I'll trust it to call to me like so many other things have. Only this time, I won't have to say no."
Back to top Go down
Storyteller
High Monarch
High Monarch

PostSubject: Re: Up the Down Staircase   Up the Down Staircase EmptyWed Apr 18, 2012 3:55 am

"So we should just get one of everything, just to be safe?" He chuckled softly. "There are dozens of shops with hundreds of selections, and all of them plus much much more available online. A little mundane, but it will do." Popping the last of his meal into his mouth, he began to clean up. Tossing empty containers back into the bag they arrived in. "Of course..." An innocent look was cast in her direction. "If your looking for something a little more ... unique we could always hit the Underground."
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Up the Down Staircase   Up the Down Staircase EmptyWed Apr 18, 2012 11:43 am

Of course he'd think things most normal people found amazing to be mundane. It was almost amusing in a cute, gag me with a chain saw type way. My food was finished as I pondered his words, tried bringing to mind a picture of exactly how to go about this in the best possible fashion. I joined him in that last bite of food before rising from my seat with a slow, lazy stretch. I nearly didn't want it to end, this little bubble of peace and calm where for once in my life I hadn't been my usual klutzy self. The excursion from responsible hum drums of school and work and being the eldest who had to always be the example to lead by. The shelter in the storm that protected the younglings from so much. For once I had been able to be just me in the company of a disturbingly handsome Male who was more attentive then one could ever ask for. Yet it wasn't like me to have thoughts like this. Helping Sevik to toss emptied containers back into the bag, a brow quirked ever so slightly when he mentioned something more unique. Looking about for a trash bin to toss the bag into,

"How unique is unique ? I don't think I've even heard of this Underground place anyways."

Last edited by Xerephim on Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Storyteller
High Monarch
High Monarch

PostSubject: Re: Up the Down Staircase   Up the Down Staircase EmptyWed Apr 18, 2012 5:56 pm

"Well commonly the London Underground refers to the subway system." He glanced back to her, as if the two of they were sharing a private joke. "But as you've already learned there is much more to the world then what Joe the Plumber sees." The corner of his mouth twitched upward, despite himself. "To the rest of us it is the biggest market available on this side of the pond. You can find anything if you know where to look and who to talk to." As he spoke he pointed out the trash bin, and walked with her past it as they headed toward his car. "Zilex Grim runs the whole beautiful disaster."

Opening her door for her, he let her get in and closed it before walking around and getting in on his side. "The whole place is a neutral ground, no violence allowed, which means that all sorts of things are made available that wouldn't normally be. I will tell you that your siblings shouldn't be taken there any time in the near future. Zilex is rumored to be a multitude of things, vampire, mage, shifter. No one gets a clear read on him, myself included. He's a living embodiment of madness and charisma, a dangerous combination, but he keeps the peace in his home so there is little else we can ask since even the Changling have a presence in the Underground."
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Up the Down Staircase   Up the Down Staircase EmptyWed Apr 18, 2012 6:41 pm

"I knew a Joe the Plumber once. This Underground place of yours does sound like Harry Potter's wet dream though. What Diagon Alley could only ever dream to be. Then again, It's all about what one dreams, isn't it, Sevik ?"

Parcel was dropped into the trash bin, steps pausing only long enough to hear the thunk of it landing before I allowed him to guide me once more towards his vehicle. Again the door was opened, a thankful smile tossed his way as I let my body slip down into the seat that I don't think I would ever tire of curling up into. Legs tucked up beneath me, the seat-belt being fastened immediately into place, though I doubted I really had any need for it. At the moment I was under the firm believe that he could and would follow through on the Oath he had made to me. How I had such a solid certainty, or why, I couldn't exactly answer. My thoughts on the Man seemed to change more than most women changed boyfriends, which nowadays was quite often. I couldn't say that from experience though, merely from what I observed of the people I shared classes with or that I saw at work. Darting a glance over at him as he seemed to just glide down into his own seat, I nodded, my assent at having heard his words. This Mr Grim person sounded rather interesting and for a moment I wondered something that I found myself rather unexpectedly speaking aloud.

"Has a Mortal ever tried making a read on him ? Well I mean to say has a Mortal ever met him before ? Not to say that I'm the first to ever go to this Underground or anything...Oh Hell....Just forget I said anything."
Back to top Go down
Storyteller
High Monarch
High Monarch

PostSubject: Re: Up the Down Staircase   Up the Down Staircase EmptyWed May 02, 2012 2:44 am

"Your right, you wont be the first mortal to enter into the Underground. Most however are escorted whether they know it or not. The few that are not, typically wake up the next morning with a hell of a hang over and a head full of fuzzy dreams of dancing colors and stunning people."

He steered them through the city and pulled into one of the many below ground parking ramps that connected to the subway system. Reaching out he touched her hand and flashed them both into the stairwell, just behind the door that opened onto the platform. Folding his fingers with hers he led her out amidst all the people. Onto the train they went, he found them a seat and settled in for what he seemed to think would be a fairly long wait. "I've never seen Grim, if you're lucky you won't either."
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Up the Down Staircase   Up the Down Staircase EmptyWed May 02, 2012 11:36 am

My stomach did the most amazing flip flop sensation, the butterflies going into overdrive as his fingers meshed through mine of his own accord. Bad Xere, Bad Xere. You know better than this. Stop letting yourself get all googity over him. He's out of your league, he's out of your friggin stratosphere. He's not even in human for Christ sake. For a moment, I wasn't sure whether to be angry or sad, and both emotions dove and tore through me. What allowed me to get an amazingly quick handle on them was the fact that above all else, the little ones would be safe. Even if it didn't last, the here and now was more than I could have ever hoped for. Focusing instead on what he was saying to me, I let it all tumble about my mind like a washer on the spin cycle.

Tucking in beside him, I followed his lead and made myself as comfortable as possible. Legs were tucked up and beneath me once more, arms draped loosely around my midsection. Shifting myself so that my gaze could hit both him and the rest of the area nearest to us, my words seemed to dance out of their own accord.

"I am still being escorted though Sevik. Gracious and charming a Guide as you are, I am quite doubtful that you'll allow me to run a muck there, not that I'm quite positive I want to. A person like me could get lost there and never want to leave which I simply can't afford. As for luck, this is the first time in my life that the Lady seems to be on my side. I think I'm rather safe with you at my side, but maybe I need to meet this Mr Grim. Maybe you need a mere Mortal to read him for you to figure out the mystery that shrouds him. I have to ask though, Sevik...Is being there with me going to make things more difficult for you ? I mean, what if someone who knows you sees us together ? I'm not exactly the most glamorous of companions for you which I'm sure your kind are used to seeing you with. I have no wish to make anything more difficult for you. None at all."
Back to top Go down
Storyteller
High Monarch
High Monarch

PostSubject: Re: Up the Down Staircase   Up the Down Staircase EmptyWed Jul 18, 2012 6:31 am

Sevik settled his arm across the seat behind her and settled in. Pulling a pair of sunglasses from his pocket, deft fingers slid them smoothly into place. When he spoke next he leaned in, breathing lightly against her ear as his words formed. "I can't pop us into the market, one of the laws of Grimm's magic. We have to go in on foot, just like everybody else." If the words earned him a look, his trademark gypsy grin was flashed, meaning everything and nothing.

Several stops later, when they were the only ones left, save a small group sitting together on the other end of the train. He eyed them briefly over the top of vermillion lenses, then glanced around them again, even lounging he was vigilant. Another twenty minutes would pass before the car came to their destination. The others were out onto the platform before he ever stirred, finally he flowed to his feet, a hand offered to her though his gaze was still locked in the direction they would be heading. "Keep close, and take anything valuable you have and put it down your shirt. " He smirked, glancing toward her as he started walking. "Much more difficult to pickpocket from there."
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Up the Down Staircase   Up the Down Staircase EmptyWed Jul 18, 2012 12:42 pm

The words earned him a look though for far different reasons than those he might have expected. As usual, he'd evaded answering pertinent questions and changed the topic entirely. She felt something like a low rumble of frustration coil in the pit of her stomach only to be swallowed along with a quiet eep that thankfully never made vocalization as his breath fluttered along the delicate skin of my ear. Damn him. Damn him and that smile that he flashed in turn to my look. Curse him for the fact that it could affect me so easily and make my brain go entirely to mush. And curse him thrice fold for that arm that he so casually draped behind me on the seat. I could feel it there, a beacon screaming silently for me to lean into the strength of it. Then there were those shades. Could he not do something that WASN'T an action of pure sensuality ?

"The only thing I have of value won't fit down there. Besides if you wanted a chance to see my breasts you could have at least had the good form to come straight out and ask."

Realizing what I'd just said, my skin lit up eighteen varying shades of red until it finally peaked out at a lively shade of purple. This time the rumble of displeasure was a low growl of frustration and embarrassed tone as I rejected the hand to duck under his arm and escape on feet that quickly carried me away from him and into the direction that the other passengers had exited. How was it that when I was around him I found myself suddenly spouting things that I would never say otherwise ? As if it were really an excuse to see my ti...Shaking my head, I continued walking, too off kilter to even look back to see if he was or was not following me.

At this point, I would likely just hand myself over lock stock and barrel to this Grimm person and be done with it. It had to be less mortifying than this.
Back to top Go down
Storyteller
High Monarch
High Monarch

PostSubject: Re: Up the Down Staircase   Up the Down Staircase EmptyMon Oct 15, 2012 10:14 pm

He was a mysterious figure, drifting like smoke through his own market. People shifted like a river to move subconsciously around him, as if he were the immoveable boulder that parted the stream. His was tall, a sturdy six feet with strong shoulders that tapered to a narrow waist. His stride on those long legs was sure footed, but seemed to lead him randomly about amidst the chaos of the merchants, and the buyers. All sorts made up the collective population of the long abandoned network of platforms, and the short stretches of tunnel that connected them. Every inch of the walls were covered in paint, or colored cloth, lights and merchandise. Shelving that defied gravity to hug the walls that held everything imaginable, and a few things beyond. Everywhere was the sound of voices haggling, and music, calls from shopfronts about deals or new inventory. He took it all in passively, demeanor aloof, the only person amongst the hundreds that seemed unaffected by the almost infectious energy of the place.

---

Not everyone went toward the double doors on the far end of the apparently ancient platform. Of the collection of maybe twenty people, thirteen headed off to the left into the dark, away from the distant sound of music. The rest walked past a collection of teens and lounged at the warehouse type double doors. The kids glanced at them, seeming to note who passed but no one moved to halt anyone's progress. The same was true for Xere, though a girl with punkish white hair, streaked with blue and purple seemed to watch her with a fair amount of curiosity in wide crystal spring-green eyes, their color intensified with a bold brush of kohl black eyeliner.

Sevik was initially only glanced at, but a second look later the collective lowered their eyes as he passed them in silent synchronization. He flashed a rueful smile that none saw, and followed her past the doors and down the staircase beyond.

The wide stone steps were beg enough for three mounted knights to ride abreast, they curved around once and opened into the bazaar. The scent of the place would hit her just past the doors however, incense, fur, blood, soot, dust, age, oils, candles, and a thousand other things that bore no immediate explanation. The ceiling was speckled with paper lanterns of more colors then there were names for, and the occasional bird, or collection of dancing lights.

Sevik came to a rest behind her, quiet as she took it all in. He remembered vividly his first visit here and how staggering it was to try and take everything in.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Up the Down Staircase   Up the Down Staircase EmptyMon Oct 15, 2012 10:55 pm

Silence.

Again it was his forte though it seemed to suit him best, especially with where we were going. Remind self once of the positions that each of us held. I was human, he wasn't. I was a Mortal with a life that was finite while he was a Prince with one that was likely infinite. He didn't owe me anything, most of all answers to stupid questions. Besides there had to be other things, other people that were more interesting than he was, so I made it one of my top priorities to find them. It wasn't like it was difficult to get a few paces ahead of him, I just had to hasten my stride. Okay, now it just looked like I was trying to run away from him. Was I really that thankless for everything he'd done for me ? Just because my logical mind screamed that there was still some price he'd be extracting from me for the lot of it, regardless of how much he denied it. As much as I enjoyed my fairy-tales, just because the Fae existed, it didn't mean that dreams came true. He wasn't here to carry me off into the sunset, and I wouldn't let him even if he was. Would I ?

That was the thought that I was so busy mulling over that I never noticed the Girl's look at me. Why would I ? He was the Prince, not me. I was feeling the sudden urge, the almost overwhelming need to sink into the floor, to become a fly on the wall when my eyes came to rest upon the Bazaar. My eyes clenched tightly for a second, fingers echoing their motion as I drew in a shuddering breath. Overwhelming. The sounds, the scents were cramming over my mind like a swarm of ants over a piece of candy dropped onto the ground on a hot summer day. Not the most tantalizing comparison to make at the moment but one of the most appropriate. Breath came in through my mouth and even still the scents were rich on my tongue, more real then most anything I'd ever actually tasted in my life. No. I wouldn't let them consume me. I was the one in control, not my senses, no matter how much they were being tantalized at the moment. There was also the fact that even with that first glance, I was yet again feeling like the poor country cousin. Fir a split second I was tempted to turn and shove passed Sevik, and walk home if I had to. That was when I snarled at myself. I had more backbone then this and damn them all to whatever Underworld they believed in if they looked at me weird because of how I was dressed.

Fingers slipped into my pockets then, finding my ear-buds and quickly slipping them into place. While it couldn't completely drown out the sounds ahead of me, it was enough to dull them to where I could regain my calm. Fingers flipped through the small offering of music I had at hand before my body eased as I came to a selection that seemed less then fitting for my surroundings, yet it was familiar enough to me that my body began to move unconsciously to the beat as my feet took their first step and then their second into the madness.

You think you're so cool boy
Blood rushing through my veins now
Do you want me for my body
Do you want me for my brain

Cold, cold, freezing, freezing
Got my heart beating, beating
Cold, cold, freezing, freezing
Got my heart beating, beating

And I know that he like me
Cause he chasing me nightly
And I want him to bite me
Cause i know I'm gonna like it

The music did at some point, early on even take over my actions. My body rocked softly, almost sinuously to the beat that was pumping through my head.While the motion was subconscious, there was no game to it, no attempted seduction for anyone, yet there was that undeniable challenge to it. I made a point not to look too long at any one thing, otherwise I knew I'd end up wanting it and well shucks I just hadn't brought the bank roll along today. Through the crowd, working my way around them, easily invisible, or so I attempted to be. If there was one thing that I looked for, rather one person, it was this mysterious Mr Grimm. The further I walked, the more at ease I became to the point that my subconscious mind had me whispering the words to the song I was chilling to as if I were just sitting at home studying.
Back to top Go down
Storyteller
High Monarch
High Monarch

PostSubject: Re: Up the Down Staircase   Up the Down Staircase EmptyThu Oct 18, 2012 12:14 am

It was like she was looking to to be found, especially with her desperation to lose herself. His hematite eyes had watched as she lost the princeling within moments of her entrance to into his domain. Not a difficult task in this place. Reaching out he set long fingers on the shoulder of one of his people, silently directing them to intercede the path of the noble, and take Sevik to his office to wait. Grimm would be bringing the girl along personally.

Falling into step behind her like a shadow he watched her move subtly to the beat of her music. Attempting to drown out so much more then just the cacophony of the marketplace and it's occupants. The corner of his mouth twitched into the flicker of a smile that never fully formed. There was just no explaining some things to the young, these lessons needed to be worked out by them and all the explanation in the world would make no difference. The prince had been no different, he had been no different, every teen from now to the beginning of days.

He gave her time, time to make a full circle, time enough to finally begin to wonder if her guide would be catching up with her. He wasn't there when she first glanced over her shoulder, but when she again looked forward the crowd parted and he stood tall and dark in it's center. Those strange eyes of his focused upon her. His frame caught the eye, almost as well as the long tailed black jacket, with it's wide cuffed sleeves and array of colors that made up the exquisite clothing he wore. He wore an aged silver ring on each of his middle fingers, and the chain of a pocket watch dangled absently from a front pocket. He was handsome, though not quite so rough around the edges as the unseelie prince. When she looked his way, he bent into the sort of bow that belonged in the old world, sweeping, gentlemanly.

Lifting his hand he beckoned her closer to him, not yet speaking, knowing his words would have been drowned out by the heady pulse of the bass in her ears.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Up the Down Staircase   Up the Down Staircase Empty

Back to top Go down

Up the Down Staircase
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Silver Paths :: England-
Jump to: